There Are No Random People In My Universe


The Universe does not allow pity parties. I was working myself into a right good pity party today. I felt I had the right to indulge in one this morning. After burying my Mom, then my brother Tom and only sibling, and then my Dad, all within the last 15 years, and being here in Georgia clearing out my mother in-law’s home just seemed too much. My mother in-law passed away the end of March from “the virus.” It was fast and ruthless in its attack on Kay. Kay has been an adult mother figure in my life since age 14 when I dared to have a crush on her perfect 14 year-old son. Even after all these years I was never quite sure whether I won her favor, but I sure tried. And Kay was always gracious even when I suspected I did not quite measure up to her expectations, most of which involved cooking. But lets be honest, few daughter in-laws truly do. Right? In any event it has been hard packing up Kay’s beloved things, each with a story and a new destination. Hence my self-indulgent sour mood.

I had just delivered quite a few packages to the Fed Ex store for mailing to various relatives that Kay had designated as recipients. Still in my melancholy mood, I managed a cheerful smile (no mask on since I was outside) and a warm good morning to an older gentleman who was getting into the car next to mine. His car had seen better days, but hey, I have a 12 year old Hyundai that has seen better days in my garage, so who am I to judge. Within seconds the gentleman and I started into a delightful conversation. It would become another one of the many times a random stranger and I found our way to each other. The gentleman, after telling me he is 92 years old and will be 93 in September, told me I was a very pretty young girl. Obviously he had my attention at “young girl.” It’s funny but I felt I knew this man, which of course I did not. But I was happy to listen to him tell me how he delivers weekly, cheesy popcorn, apples, blackberry currants and a $20.00 bill to his mentally ill 90 year-old sister. She especially likes the cheesy popcorn. As we continued our conversation I learned that he has a 56 year-old daughter who has trouble maintaining a job, so he provides a monthly income to her. He also has a 62 year-old son who is completely blind in his right eye because of diabetes. The gentleman said the condition makes his son virtually unemployable so he mails a “helpful” check to him monthly. The only cross thing the gentleman said while we spoke revolved around his “scoundrel” daughter in-law. Apparently she racked up $61,000 in credit card fees at various flea markets. I suspect the “scoundrel’s” definition of a flea market and mine, are worlds apart. Nonetheless, the gentleman found an agency that would help his son set a payment schedule. I am not sure what happened to the “scoundrel” as her part in the story did not seem important to the gentleman. It became obvious to me that this gentleman with the car that had seen better days and frankly tired clothing, had a huge heart, and I suspected a much bigger story.

As we continued to talk, his personal story began to come to life. His name is Reverend Canon Lewis P. Bohler, a Vicar Retired, Church of St. Mary the Virgin, a historic African American Episcopal Church. The church has a very small congregation with a mission of taking care of each other and those in need...literally. Father Bohler has a degree in Psychology and Theology, and is a USAF Veteran. He spends his day delivering food to friends and family as well as people he thinks need a kind gesture.  He told me that “my clothes are thread barren and my car is a junkyard, but I am healthy and alive! As long as I am those two things I will keep doing God’s work.” As he got in his car, he looked over at me and said “pretty young girl, please stay in touch...” He left me shortly after that to deliver a cherrie pie to a young man that he was helping find employment, but not before giving me a box of chocolate turtle cookies. It did not take me long to recognize that the Universe was telling me there are lots of people who make lemonade out of lemons. Noted! Maybe I should have asked Father Bohler for HIS recipe......

Comments

Kathy Johnson said…
What a wonderful, inspiring story Birdie! Just goes to show how there is always something Godly, positive, right around the corner ( or in this case, the car next to you). Sending love as you go thru Kay's things. And by the way, she loved you!! She thought the world of you. She told me so. Thanks for sharing
Love, Kathy
robinbledsoe said…
Kathy, thank you so very much. We are all a little lost right now. Kay was such a big part of our lives. But she would want all of us to go on and live life....which we are. Just minus our Matriarch.